The tourist destination filled with music, theater, original art works of the famous artists and history. There are a lot of cafes, restaurants, museums and flea markets which remain filled with tourists. Vienna is an important city in the tourist itinerary because of its entertainment and beauty.
Why should anyone visit the city?
Vienna offers a lot to the visitors from food to art and cultural places. The city should be visited for the UNESCO world heritage sites, palaces, historical attractions and art galleries with the original collections of the world’s famous artists like Egon schiele, Gustav Klimt, Van Gogh, Max Bechmann, Claude Monet and temporary exhibitions of artists from all around the world. It is necessary to visit Vienna to see the art pieces because photography is not allowed at most of the galleries and museums.
How does one get to the destination (airport, ferry or others)?
The airport of Vienna is the biggest airport of Austria that welcomes flights from Asia, US, Canada, Europe and all the other major destinations of the world. The airport is still expanding with the passage of time.
The Railway station of the city is called Wien Haupthbahnhof. It is very well connected to various places of Europe and outside Europe. You can easily select your destination and book train ticket online.
Buses take a little longer to reach different parts of the country where as they are a very low cost way of transportation. The international bus station is located next to the train station. You can easily plan the trip through the bus website.
The boat round trip is run by Twin city liners from Bratislava to Vienna. It is a beautiful 75 minutes trip that is frequently available during the summer season and has a different schedule in winter.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
Vienna is one of the safest cities of the world with very less risks. Bag snatching and pick pocketing is common in the crowded places and famous landmarks. Tourists have to remain careful about their belongings and avoid getting involved in the scams where the people demand financial information, credit card details or business information. Some areas have fake police officers.
What’s the weather like?
April – May is the spring season and the perfect time to visit Vienna. Most of the tourists start arriving in the city so the attractions mostly remain crowded.
June – August welcome a plenty of events and festivals with warm weather. Hotels and other accommodation options are mostly unavailable, expensive and travel fares also increase.
September – October has a bit pleasant weather to enjoy Vienna. Tourist crowds, accommodation prices and travel fares start decreasing and you can find some nice deals to visit Vienna.
November – March is the chilly weather with sometimes moderate temperature. Tourism again increases for winter festivals and holidays. Mostly European crowds visit Vienna for the celebrations.
What languages are spoken in the area? Is English spoken?
German is the official language of Vienna whereas Slovenian, Hungarian, Croatian, Turkish and many other languages are spoken in different parts of the city. Most of the people in tourist areas, hotels and eateries speak English. However, remember that “not everyone in Vienna speaks English”.
What’s the local currency?
Is US Dollar widely accepted?
The official currency of Austria is Euro. You need to exchange the currency at the airport or money exchange. US Dollar is not accepted in Vienna whereas you can use USD on the airport and duty free.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
Entire Vienna is an amazing place to stay with many options. Some of the districts to consider are:
- Inner Stadt has 22 districts attached with it because it is the heart of Vienna. The large ring like road connects it to many attractions, eateries, nightlife places and shopping areas. The Ringstrasse road is listed in the UNESCO world heritage site due to its historical significance.
- Leopoldstadt is another main district with many tourist attractions and historical monuments. The best thing about staying here is that it gets lesser crowds of tourists and less traffic as compared to other districts. The Danube Canal is also near so many hotels and restaurants have the beautiful view of the canal.
- Landstrasse is the best district to stay for the local feel of the city. Most of the locals live in this area and own businesses in this part. This area also has some famous landmarks which worth visiting.
What’re your top 3 hotels (budget, moderate, luxury) and why?
- Motel One Wien Prater is the budget friendly place to stay in the modern ambiance. It is close to the underground station that is necessary because it is a little far from the main attractions. Hotel offers an extensive range of breakfast options.
- Boutique Hotel Dar Tigra is located near the St. Stephen’s Cathedral. It is a family run hotel with a historical importance. Rooms have TV, AC, safe and complimentary breakfast is served every morning.
- Palais Coburg is the luxury hotel constructed in the 19th century palace. It is located near the St. Stephen Cathedral and Vienna State Opera. Suites have gardens, living rooms, terraces, antique furnishings and kitchenettes. The hotel also offers free Wi-Fi, whirlpool tubs, spa, sauna, restaurant, bar, spa, free parking and complimentary breakfast.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs?
Wiener Verkehrsbetriebe is the name of Vienna’s public transport which can take you anywhere from any part of the city. The network includes
Subway (U-Bahn) – the fastest way to reach different parts of the city and suburbs.
Trams – fun way of transportation to explore the city.
Busses – late night services are available when you cannot find any other way of transport.
Trains – an interconnected network to reach suburbs of the city very conveniently
Taxis and Uber Service
Taxis are available everywhere but they are an old fashioned way to travel. You have to bargain and negotiate before getting into the car. Taxi charges are per kilometer, extra trunk charges if u have luggage, late nights and weekends have increased fares, the drivers also ask for 10% tip after the ride. However, Uber service is frequently available in very reasonable fares and convenient travel.
Can you highlight the Top 5 MUST see sightseeing?
- St Stephen’s Cathedral is one of the most famous attractions of Vienna. It is the tallest and very important church of Austria. The church is an extremely beautiful gothic building with very tall tower that shows Vienna skyline.
- The Hofburg Palace is the splendid complex belonging to the Habsburg dynasty in the 13th The emperor used this palace to spend the winters. It remained an emperor’s palace for hundreds of years. It is now used as the president offices and base. The beauty and architecture of the building worth visiting.
- Schonbrunn Gardens is the magical palace complex to explore. You can spend the amazing day in walking around the gardens to see their displays and sections. There is a labyrinth, maze, flower beds, stone statues, artificial Roman ruin and many more. The café provides amazing drinks and snacks with superb views of the garden.
- Vienna Zoo (Tiergarten Schonbrunn) is one of the oldest zoos of the world. It not only an entertainment place but educational and species conservation center as well. Zoo has many native and international species of animals, original ancient buildings and rainforest.
- Belvedere Museum is the huge complex with gardens. It was used in 16th century as the summer season palace by the Princes of Austria. Palaces have amazing architecture, orangery, pools and royal gardens to roam around. Museum display has art pieces, artifacts and paintings.
- Vienna State Opera is another very famous place among the locals and tourists. The neo-classic architecture and art of the opera makes it one of the best opera houses of the world. The Interior and arches of the opera make it appear like a palace. You can buy tickets online for the show or book a tour for the visit.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
Vienna is filled with amazing places to click and add in your travel album. However, one of the best places to visit and click some unique photos is the Natural History Museum of Vienna. The display has a huge collection of artifacts, precious stones, minerals, fossils, meteorites, some skeletons of animals and extinct species. It is a very fascinating place for adults and children.
What about the top 3 restaurants?
- The Palmenhaus is a very famous botanical house offering delicious wines with Mediterranean and Austrian food. The menu has a range of fusion foods, cocktails and desserts to enjoy in the magical ambiance.
- Erich is a very cool place to enjoy food in the 7th the restaurant has an amazing menu to choose from breakfast to the evening cocktails and dinners. It has a range of all vegan ice cream and non-dairy desserts.
- Café Central is a grand and amazing café of Vienna famous around the world. It is more like a tourist attraction with huge crowds of people in the pastry section. You can grab some delicious food and dessert from this living slice of history.
What about the top 3 breakfast places?
- Ulrich is the best breakfast place for early morning people. It opens at 7:30am on working days and 9am on weekends. You can get a wide range of delicious things to eat and amazing coffee in the scenic cobblestone courtyard.
- Café Ansari is a wonderful morning place with fans from all around the world. It is a very modern coffee house typically designed in the Viennese style. The menu has extensive range of international and traditional foods. Many dishes are inspired by Georgian and Lebanese culture because the owner couple belongs to these places.
- The Guesthouse starts their day at 6:30am and serves breakfast until 11am. Mostly locals recommend this place for best breakfast. The food menu is filled with a variety of modern dishes and complex flavors. They also have an in house bakery.
What’s the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
There are a lot of food varieties and food fusion dishes to try in Vienna. You will find a wide range of international specialties presented by the people of other countries. The must try Viennese food is Apfelstudel. It is a super thin and crispy pastry that is very popular. The filling is made of apples, cinnamon, raisins, sugar and bread crumbs. It is a very delicious dessert or breakfast item. It is a part of culture so you will easily find it in the menu of almost every café.
What about food markets?
Naschmarkt remains near the river all around the year. You will not only see tourists but a huge crowd of locals, buying their daily routine food items. The market has stalls of specialties from other countries, fresh meats, seafood, fruits, vegetables and cooked foods. You will also find many book stalls and other things. It becomes a farmer’s market on Saturdays.
Easter and Christmas Markets are organized during the festivities of Easter and Christmas. They have a huge range of products like occasion decoration, handmade crafts, drinks, foods, hand painted eggs, Christmas tree décor, souvenirs and many more.
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
Donaukanal or the Danube Canal is an amazing sandy area to enjoy a wonderful nightlife. There is a huge range of vibrant clubs and bars with famous Dj’s and live music. You can dance on some famous electronic music developments in the clubs.
Heurigen is the paradise of wine lovers. You will find some of the oldest wine places in this area serving delicious range of wines. Grinzing is the northern area that has a lot of wineries and nightlife options.
Any rooftop bars or restaurants that you recommend?
- Lamee Rooftop is a very bright and trendy rooftop with the breath taking views of the city. It is located on the Lamee Hotel. The furniture is modern and nice with very cute stools painted in bright colors. You can sit, relax, have delicious cocktail, wine and food at this superb place.
- Gerngross Shopping center rooftop is a little hidden and new people find a bit difficulty in getting there. This place offers amazing drinks, foods and incredible views of the city. You can get there by using elevators of the shopping mall.
- Der Dachboden is a very famous café and bar of Vienna. It is a hipster place with fantastic surroundings. This place is located on the rooftop of the 25 Hours Hotel. You can enjoy the wonderful views of historic center with delicious cocktails and food.
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
You will find many small shops and outlets everywhere in the city to buy cool products and souvenirs.
Kaerntnerstrasse is famous for the coffee houses, opera house and luxury brand stores. You can visit this market to find the luxury and designer brands of Europe. Graben is also a part of market that starts from the St. Stephen church to the Kohlmarkt. Its plague column is very famous around the world. It was made during the 16th century at the time of great plague. It has some famous cafes and places for shopping.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
There are some places which are the best for a day trip from Vienna. You can easily plan the trip form Vienna with the help of online information or your travel agent.
- The Wachau
- The Vienna Woods
- Klosterneuburg Abbey
- The Roman Town of Carnuntum
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
There are four major casinos in Vienna with slots, gaming machines and tables. They also have drinks and snacks options for the guests. These casinos are:
- Casino Wien
- Concord Card Casino Simmering
- Concord Card Casino Lugner city
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- Most of the places do not accept cards and USD so keep Euros with you to pay in the markets and eateries. ATMs are also not easily available everywhere.
- Tap water is drinkable in most of the places because it comes from the mountains.
- Some random charges at the places are for public toilets, sauces at fast food restaurant and grocery store bags so do not get surprised or shocked.
- Most of the times accommodation is hard to find especially in peak tourist season. Book accommodation in advance.