The largest metropolitan city of Australia offers a variety of amazing activities to its visitors. From exploring fabulous beaches to indoor activities, wildlife, shopping and trying delicious cuisines, there are many things which make everyone fall in love with Sydney.
Why should anyone visit the city?
The main attraction of Sydney is the iconic Sydney harbor, cruise trip, opera house and harbor bridge. There are a lot of things to do in the city like exploring the wildlife in Taronga zoo, water activities, beautiful scenery and delicious foods. You can have a meal on the cruise while exploring the area.
How does one get to the destination (airport, ferry or others)?
The busiest airport of Sydney is the Kingsford Smith International airport. It welcomes direct flights from many major destinations of the world. Different transportation is available at the airport to reach different parts of the city.
Private and government buses are available to reach Sydney from different parts of Australia. They are well equipped and convenient.
Sydney is connected to Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, New South Wales, Brisbane and Canberra by railway.
You can plan a scenic and entertaining road trip to Sydney from different parts of Australia. An international driving license is mandatory to drive.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
The neighborhoods including Redfern, Kings cross, Cabramatta, Black town, Fairfield, Liverpool, Campbell town, Penrith and Parramatta are the high alert areas. Tourists should avoid staying in these areas or remain very careful. The beaches of Sydney have many undertows that become a reason of drowning. Always follow the warning flags and sign boards. There are many poisonous insects, reptiles and animals. If you get bitten then emergency helpline is 000. Do not wait or ignore any unusual happening while swimming or exploring the wild life.
What’s the weather like?
- September to November is a very pleasant time of Sydney. The city welcomes good tourist crowds. It is almost like the spring time with the temperature between 50 to 70 F.
- December to February is the high tourism season when the weather is most desirable to visit the city. The fares and accommodation is also very expensive during this period.
- March to May is the fall season when the crowds start leaving the city. Sydney starts becoming less crowded. This is the whale watching season and most of the locals visit the beaches to enjoy the mighty creatures.
- June to August is the peak winter season in Sydney. Travel fares and accommodation prices fall to a very affordable range.
What languages are spoken in the area? Is English spoken?
Language spoken in Sydney is known as Darug or Eora in English. It is the ancient Australian language that was traditionally spoken in the city. Almost half of the Sydney population speaks fluent English.
What’s the local currency?
Is US Dollar widely accepted?
Official currency of Australia is Australian Dollar. You cannot use any other currency directly whereas debit cards and credit cards are allowed. You can also withdraw money from ATM’s.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
- Central Business District is the middle of the city that is completely surrounded by shops, bars, multinational companies, government offices and many others.
- King St. to Bathurst St. is the best area to stay for Asian food lovers, budget travelers and families. It is close to many attractions.
- Darling Harbor is an amazing area to stay because of its famous tourist attractions. This area has Sydney Aquarium, Wildlife world and Star Casino.
What’re your top 3 hotels (budget, moderate, luxury) and why?
- The Capsule Hotel is perfect for the backpackers and budget travelers. It is fine for the people having no problem in squeezing and sleeping into the capsules.
- Meriton Suites Chatswood is the cool luxury place with many facilities. Rooms are spacious, bathrooms have hair straightener and toiletries, kitchenette with basic utensils, Free Wi-Fi and many more.
- Park Hyatt Sydney is the amazing five-star accommodation located near the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour. The rooms are filled with luxuries and modern details.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs?
There are different ways to get around in Sydney.
- Sydney Metro is the best option
- Train is reliable and frequent
- Buses are perfect to reach the areas away from train and metro.
- Ferry is the most beautiful way to explore the city by the water ways.
- Light Rail is perfect to explore the shopping and entertainment areas
- Taxis, cabs and Uber are very frequent and efficient
- Community transport is the best way for the first time visitors who need help to explore the city.
Can you highlight the Top 5 MUST see sightseeing?
- Sydney Opera House is the iconic national monument of Australia that was constructed by a Danish architect. You can visit the exterior for free where as there is a ticket for entrance.
- Taronga zoo Sydney is located on the hill in the Northern Sydney. The place is worth visiting because it contains an amazing collection of local and international animal species. You can reach the zoo by a ferry.
- Observatory hill is the best place to explore the 360 degree views of Sydney. This is the perfect place for a picnic day. There is the astronomical observatory and you can book a stargazing tour of the night.
- Royal Botanic Garden Sydney is a fascinating 74 acres’ green space. It is the oldest garden of Australia that contains wonderful native and international species. You can spend a very relaxing day at this place for free.
- Sydney Harbour Bridge is a must see attraction. If you are travelling on budget and cannot afford the fees then, you can just observe it and click some fascinating images.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
Entire city is worth clicking. However, the biggest recommendation is not a place but the wildlife of Australia. You will find many unique and impressive species of animals and plants.
What about the top 3 restaurants?
- Quay is a wonderful place with the plantation of rare vegetables in the backyard and custom crockery.
- Ester Restaurant and Bar offers some of the typical things associated with the big occasions.
- Lumi Bar and Dining is the Japanese and Italian restaurant. There is a big variety of fusion cuisines and drinks.
What about the top 3 breakfast places?
- Little Lord
- Cornersmith Annandale
- Single O
What’s the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
There are a lot of cuisines to try in Sydney. However, Sydney rock Oyster and Australian prawns are highly recommended and unmissable dishes.
What about food markets?
- Kings cross organic markets
- Street food markets – Addison road
- China town night market
- Bondi farmers market
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
You will find a plenty of nightlife options in Sydney which are designed according to the theme and style of music.
- Kings cross is the best area for the nightlife option. There are many vibrant bars, clubs and restaurants.
- Bondi Beach is the best place for the party lovers.
Any rooftop bars or restaurants that you recommend?
- Old Mate’s Place
- East Village hotel
- Glenmore Hotel
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
You will find a plenty of places to buy some of the best products, clothing and fashion accessories. Best options for shopping in Sydney are:
- Queen Victoria Building
- Darling Harbour
- Sydney Towers Westfields
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
You can easily plan tours outside Sydney. Some of the recommendations are:
- New castle
- Hawkesbury River and Dangar Island
- Palm Beach and Pittwater
- Woy Woy and central Coast
- Ku-ring-gair Chase national park
- Port Stephens
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
The Star City casino or The Star Casino is the best place for gambling in the city. It has almost 1400 machines and 130 gaming tables. You will find a plenty of entertainment at the Casino.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- Buy an Opal card that can be used for different types of transportation.
- Ferries are a very interesting way of transportation that is commonly used by the locals.
- Summer season faces a threat of bush fires.