If you want to stay at a place filled with lot of adventures and a wide range of outdoor activities, then Seoul, South Korea is the best place for you. There is weather of every type with different natural wonders and hiking trails of every height. You can also get the best nightlife fun and shopping places to get the best deals.
Why should anyone visit the city?
South Korea is one of the best cosmetic and fashion places of the world. There are different fashion events and exhibitions happen in the city that you can attend to follow some latest trends. Many influential and premier events happen weekly, monthly and annually. There are a lot of people who visit the city for fashion and cosmetic improvements.
How does one get to the destination (airport, ferry or others)?
The main airport to reach Seoul is the Incheon International Airport. You can get many ways to get from the airport to the downtown that takes almost 1 hours to reach. The other option is the Gimpo airport but it is the older international airport that was used before Incheon Airport. Trains are available to go from airport to different parts of the city. There are different railway stops from the airport to Seoul Station.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
Over all Seoul is a very safe place for tourists and solo females. They can even roam around late at night. However, the general precautions apply like taking care of belongings and staying alert from scams. The city has a history of natural disasters like earthquakes. Check weather updates while planning the trip.
What’s the weather like?
There are no complicated variations of the weather of Seoul.
- The spring season is from April to June that is a very pleasant time to visit the city.
- Summer season is muggy and wet that is from July to August.
- The months of Autumn become refreshing and nice from September to November.
- Winters of Seoul are Dry and snowy from December to March.
- The coastline is windier during most parts of the year.
What languages are spoken in the area? Is English spoken?
The official language that is spoken in Seoul is Korean. You will find many people in different tourist areas speaking English. Restaurants and hotels staff also communicate well with foreigners. However, in some areas people feel hesitation in speaking English because they are not very good at it.
What’s the local currency?
Is US Dollar widely accepted?
The official currency used in the country is South Korean Won (KRW). US dollar is accepted at some big places but the change is given in the local currency. It is better to use the local currency because the exchange rate is not good at the local places. You can get money from local ATM or bank. You can choose the price you want according to the USD rate or the KRW rate.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
- Myeongdong is the best neighborhood for the shopping and food lovers. There are many international and local brands in this area which remain open entire night.
- Hongdae is the best area to stay for the fashion lovers. if you are not staying in this area then do visit it to see the latest trends of South Korea. You can also try some BBQ or other delicious cuisines while enjoying the creative vibes of the area.
- Gangnam is the wealthiest and best neighborhood. However, the places to stay are also expensive. It is for the people who want to see the elite lifestyle and luxuries of Seoul.
- Itaewon is the best area to stay for the party people and backpackers. There is a large number of restaurants and nightlife places in this area.
- Jamsil is more suitable for the families. If you are a sports enthusiast, then this place is also for you to stay. There are many adventurous places like parks and gaming in this area.
What’re your top 3 hotels (budget, moderate, luxury) and why?
Kimchee Downtown Guesthouse
The location of the guest house is very convenient to reach because it is located in the popular Seo-Daemun with many attractions in the neighborhood. It is a very interactive place with different games that guests can play together like dart board, table tennis, billiards and many more.
Sp@ltaewon Guesthouse for foreigners only
The guest house offers plenty of fun with very pleasant ambiance. It is very clean and comfortable and is perfect for the visitors. Many attractions and Itaewon station is very close to it.
Lotte Hotel Seoul
It is the luxurious hotel chain for business and elite class travelers. It is located near the Incheon International airport with many other transportations easily available to get around. Guests can enjoy many landmarks, attractions, temples and ornate places located near the hotel. There are a lot of onsite facilities and amenities also available along with restaurants, spa, gym and other facilities.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs?
There are different ways to get around Seoul.
- Subway is the most convenient and main mode of transportation. You can easily find your way around with the help of maps even if you do not know Korean language. The announcements are done in English and Korean. It is very busy from 4 pm to 8 pm.
- Bus system is also good and is best to approach the places away from the subway stations. It is very extensive system and is very economically priced. It is a bit confusing for the foreigners. They need to recognize the bus with its color.
- Taxis are comparatively low priced in Seoul. It is necessary to negotiate the price before getting in the cab. IIban are the regular taxis with taxi sign and the colors are silver, orange, white or blue. Deluxe taxis are Mobeum in black and yellow color. They are a bit expensive. Most of the cab drivers do not speak English.
Can you highlight the Top 5 MUST see sightseeing?
- Seoul Tower is almost 500 meters high communication tower that is also used for the observation. It offers amazing panoramic views of the city, mountains and nearby areas. There are different restaurants and gift shops near the tower.
- Bukchon Hanok Village is the perfect place to observe the Korean traditions, architecture and culture. It belongs to the ancient era of Korea (around 600 years ago). This is very well preserved and very interesting.
- National Museum Korea is a worth visiting place especially if you are traveling with kids. This is considered as one of the largest museums of the continent. There is a vast collection of artifacts, art works, sculptures, paintings, prehistoric objects, antiques and many more. Yongsan Family park and War memorial museum are also very close to it.
- Lotte World Tower is a skyscraper that is around 500 meters high. It is the fifth tallest building of the world with many indoor and outdoor activities along with a wonderful observation deck. You can get the amazing panoramic views of the city for the 123rd floor of the tower. 118th floor is the glass floor with the sky deck. It appears very scary and magical by changing from opaque to transparent.
- Gyeongbokgung Palace is the grand palace among the five palaces constructed by the Joseon Dynasty. It was destroyed many times during wars and disasters whereas it was restored to its full glory every time. You can visit the palace, the museums and many other attractions attached to it.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
Seoul has a lot of places to click photos but the most unmissable is the Seoul Museum of Art. You can click many creative photos of the permanent art collections and the modern ongoing exhibitions in the museum.
What about the top 3 restaurants?
- Hadongkwan is the amazing place to see the three generations of a Korean family running this traditional food place. You can try many delicious Korean foods at this place.
- Bada Sikdang is an old restaurant that sells the delicious stew invented in the Korean food scarce during war. You can enjoy many dishes belonging from the old times in their actual flavor with a mix of US and Korean ingredients.
- Saebyukjib remains opens 24/7 for the people who love to eat late at night after enjoying a couple of drinks. Sometimes Korean celebrities can also be spotted at this place.
What about the top 3 breakfast places?
- Grain is located in the cluster of many small cafes and stores in Yeonnam-dong. This is a very quiet and pleasant place to enjoy a relaxing morning breakfast or brunch.
- Sarr is known for its brunch food and pancakes. It is a very fancy looking small place to enjoy a refreshing healthy morning.
- Donatello is an amazing restaurant with wonderful ambiance and menu. You can select some delicious items according to your mood for brunch or breakfast.
What’s the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
There are a lot of Korean foods that worth giving a try but the top of the list is Dakgalbi that is made with marinated chicken. It is very healthy and delicious made with many herbs and vegetables with the chicken.
What about food markets?
- Myeongdong Food market is the best pick if you want to go to the best experience in Seoul. It is located near the Myeongdong station.
- Namdaemun Market can be better called as the Korean best and oldest retail center. It is interconnected with many streets with lots of food options.
- Gwangjang Market is a very famous food market because it appears on many TV shows and travel blogs.
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
There are a lot of nightlife areas in the city whereas some of the best ones are:
- Dongdaemun Night Market has a wide range of clubs, bars, eateries and shopping options. You can enjoy many concerts and live music shows at this place.
- Southern part of Seoul has a lot of places located near the bridges with amazing views and nightlife fun.
- Gangnam nightlife area has many elite nightclub areas where you will also spot many elites and celebrities hanging out.
Any rooftop bars or restaurants that you recommend?
- Playground Rooftop Café and Bar has a lot of wonderful drink and food options with the opportunities to meet locals and tourists.
- Gaja Changgo Rooftop is the amazing rooftop bar in Seoul with minimalist interior and furniture. This is the perfect place for interacting and making friends.
- Lua Rooftop Lounge is a very romantic place that is perfect for couple and date night.
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
- Myeongdong is the best area to find the best deals of different products. There is clothing, accessories, souvenirs and many more.
- Time square mall is the best shopping mall of Seoul city. There are a lot of local and international brands, theatre, indoor and outdoor activities, food court and many more.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
You can take many day trips outside the city.
- Nami Island and Petit France
- Naejangsan National Park
- Alpaca World
- Jeongdong-Simgok Badabuchae-gil Trail
- Daedunsan Provincial Park
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
Seven Luck Casino Gangnam Coex is a very big casino with a huge variety of gambling options. You can enjoy the ambiance and play a lot of games to try your luck.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- Get a T-money card to save a lot of money on travel.
- Street food is safe and clean so you can eat without getting sacred.
- Use the metro station to travel if possible it is the best and most convenient. However, there are a lot of stairs on metro station.
- Wear the most comfortable pair of shoes and clothes to get around because there is a lot of walk and stairs to climb.
- Never forget bargaining to get the best deals.
- Follow the travel website and blogs to get information about every place in Seoul. It is very well connected and you will get free Wi-Fi access everywhere.