If you want to witness the diversity of art, architecture and lifestyle for thousands of years then visit Milan. From the early ages attractions (renaissance, neoclassic and medieval era) to the high end modern fashion and lifestyle, the city offers everything. Milan also has the original master pieces made by many famous artists.
Why should anyone visit the city?
There are a lot of things which makes Milan a very important part of travel itinerary. You can witness original master pieces from 14th centuries to the modern era. There is variety of museums and art galleries. Some of them are dedicated only to the works of famous artists like Leonardo Da Vinci, Lucio Fontana and Umberto Boccioni. You can explore a huge art world in Milan.
How does one get to the destination (airport, ferry or others)?
Milan is a very popular destination so it is easily accessible from different parts of the world.
There are direct flights to Italy Milan from all the major airports of the world. Three airports welcome the flights for Milan.
- Milan Malpensa Airport (the largest airport)
- Milan Linate Airport (second largest)
- Bergamo Airport (known for the low cost airlines)
Train is the best way to explore the areas of Italy because while moving to Milan, you can see many other places. You can check the routes, tariffs and timings of trains on the website.
It is the budget friendly and best way to reach Milan from some European cities. You can use it instead of train to save some travel amount.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
Overall safety in Milan is excellent for tourists and solo female travelers. Taking care of your belongings is a mandatory thing especially in the public places. Major tourist attractions have a huge number of pickpockets and snatchers. The outside areas of the city should be avoided if they have a huge crowd or they are isolated especially late at night.
Taxi scams are common in the tourist attractions. Never get in the fake taxis, use the licensed ones only to avoid getting scammed. Licensed taxis can be recognized by the sign on the roof. Check the meter before starting the ride to get the properly calculated fair. Do not show off your gadgets, valuables and passport because it will attract the scammers.
What’s the weather like?
- April to May is the Spring season and the best time to visit Milan. This season is filled with a huge crowds of tourists.
- June to August is the summer season. This is the time when there is the hottest and humid climate. Local crowds travel during these months so the places become more crowded. June is the time of fashion week so you need to book accommodation in advance.
- September is the women’s fashion week so book accommodation in advance because most of the places are occupied by the visitors. October is the high precipitation time so keep umbrella with you to stay safe from the rain.
- November is also the month of rains and cold. Keep warm clothes with you to protect yourself from the chilly winters of Milan. Weather remains the same from December to February.
What languages are spoken in the area? Is English spoken?
The official language of the city is Italian that is spoken in every part of Milan. Majority of the locals speak English but remember not all of them speak English. You can easily communicate in the eateries and the accommodations because they all communicate very well.
What’s the local currency?
Is US Dollar widely accepted?
Euro is the official currency of almost every place of Italy. It is also used in Milan. US Dollar is not accepted anywhere in the city so you need to exchange the currency. You can exchange money from the exchange offices near Milan central station and Milan cathedral. Do not change your money from the people offering on the tourist places because they are scammers.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
- San Lorenzo is a place near the ancient columns and impressive street art. This is the best neighborhood for couples because of its romantic vibe. There are many small hotels, hostels and many other places to stay.
- Brera is the amazing neighborhood made of many narrow streets. This is the best areas to stay for the sightseeing. There are shops, restaurants and bars in this area. Most of the festivals and events are also organized in this area.
- Isola is the best area to stay for the food and restaurants. You can find some high end eateries run by the expert chefs. There are every kind of cuisines in this area from meats, pastas, wines and Italian foods.
- Piazza del Duomo is highly recommended for the first time visitors of Milan. There are restaurants, bars, cafes and shops in this area with easier access to many attractions.
What’re your top 3 hotels (budget, moderate, luxury) and why?
Every area of Milan has hotels, hostels and guest houses to stay that you can choose.
- Hotel Milano Castello offers free Wi-Fi, modern rooms and garden. Hotel rooms have hair dryer, toiletries and some of them have spa bath.
- The Square Milano Duomo is located near the opera house, cathedral and shopping area. It is situated in the historical building with a bar, restaurant, Wi-Fi and modern interior. Bathrooms have free toiletries, hair dryer and the rooms have free bar.
- Palazzo Parigi Hotel and Grand Spa is the luxurious hotel located in the Milan fashion district. The hotel also offers a restaurant, modern interior and bar.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs?
The city is mostly crowded with locals and visitors especially during the peak tourist seasons. There are different ways to get around in Milan.
- Bus system is the best way to explore the city. However, the bus ticket is only valid for 90 minutes after it is stamped. Tram routes starts where the bus leaves the way so they both connect entire city. The ticket can be used for buses and trams.
- Metro service has three lines that connects to the trams and bus routes. If you want to explore more places, then buy the ten tickets pack named blochetto. Locally metro is known as the “MM”.
- S Trains are the biggest rail system that connects Milan to its suburbs and the other transport systems like trams and buses.
- Bike is a very interesting and independent way to explore the city. You can book a bike from the BikeMi website. You can check the rates from the website and select the package for couple of hours, week and the entire time of your stay.
- Taxi is frequently available at all the major attractions. Fares are according to the per km distance. Uber is also available in Milan but it is not very popular among the locals.
Can you highlight the Top 5 MUST see sightseeing?
II Duomo – Milan Cathedral
It is also known as the Cathedral of Santa Maria Nascente that is known as II Duomo by the locals. The magnificent gothic structure was started in 14th century and the construction was completed in 18th century.
Leonardo Da Vinci’s Last Supper
It is the 14th century gothic structure that was designed by the famous Italian architect of Renaissance era, named Bramante. It holds the Leonardo Da Vinci’s Last Supper. It was damaged during the world war II whereas repaired over time and more art pieces came to the limelight.
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
This is the largest shopping arcade of Europe that was built in the eighteenth century. This is a wonder of art with a 48 meters’ dome and mosaic floor. It portrays the beginning and beauty of the modern architecture of Italy. There are many luxury shops, cafes and other eateries.
It is the castle in Milan that was constructed in the 15th century with the 14th century fortification. It was renovated and expanded during the 16th and 17th centuries that made it among the largest citadels of the continent.
San Maurizio and the Archeology Museum
You can see the most beautiful church of Milan belonging to the 15th century. The walls and ceiling of the church are covered in the biblical scenes made by the 16th century artists. The colors are well preserved, vivid and fresh like they are painted yesterday.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
Every attraction of Milan is worth capturing in the photos. This is the best place for art and architecture. The best place to click pictures is Palazzo Di Brera that was built in the 16th century. It has art gallery, museum, library, observatory and many more. You can click the perfect pictures of master pieces to make the trip more memorable.
What about the top 3 restaurants?
- Nobu Milan is a perfect place to enjoy the Italian and Japanese fusion. You can have delicious sushi at the amazing fashionable ambiance.
- II Luogo Di Aimo e Nadia is one of the top restaurants run by Aimo and Nadia. The restaurant has the two Michelin stars.
- Giacomo is the stylish restaurant with the combo of local business and high fashion. It is highly recommended by the locals because of its delicious flavors.
What about the top 3 breakfast places?
- Ostello Bello is the hostel where you will see the crowds of international back packers and locals. The brunch table is open for everyone. It has pancakes, fruits, cereals, yogurt, coffee and juices.
- Upcycle is the café and bar offering delicious menu for breakfast. This is the sustainable crazy places with most of the things made by the recycled materials.
- Les Pommes is a trendy place with the modern and sophisticated ambiance. Delicious food is very beautifully presented. The menu has English and Italian brunch options.
What’s the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
Ossobuco with Gremolata is one of the delicious dishes of Milan that is worth trying. It is a meat dish served with vegetables. Broth contains wine for the flavor and garnished with different herbs.
What about food markets?
Mercato Settimanale Fauche is the best sightseeing experience with the shopping and food experiences. The market opens on every Tuesday and Saturday.
Wagner Municipal Market is the best place to enjoy adventure and culture. You can enjoy the diverse food options, desserts and premium wines.
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
- Navigli District is the best place for the amazing nightlife. There are many amazing bars, clubs, restaurants, shops and nightlife entertainment places. This area is also preferred by the locals for the night out.
- Brera is charming Bohemian district with the trendy and vibrant night out experience. There are lively clubs, bars, cozy restaurants, shops, artists and fortune tellers.
- Corso Como is the trendy district of the glamour and nightlife. There are many vibrant bars, clubs, cafes and restaurants. You can enjoy the fashionable night out at the coolest area of Milan.
Any rooftop bars or restaurants that you recommend?
La Rinascente is a beautiful rooftop of a luxurious shopping mall. The restaurant offers delicious food and drinks with stunning ambiance.
The view Rooftop offers the stunning panoramic views of II Duomo, square and the city. You can witness the modernity and classic surroundings of Milan.
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
- Via Monte Napoleone is famous for all the luxurious brands and exclusive designer lines.
- Via Della Spiga is kniwn for the high end fashion boutiques and shops. There are many trendy cafes and restaurants in this area.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
You can plan a day trip to the following places:
- Bernina Express to St. Moritz
- Lake Como
- Bergamo’s Citta Alta
- Verona and Lake Garda
- Cinque Terre
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
There are many casinos in Milan whereas Wincity is one of the best casinos of the city. It has a variety of latest gaming machines, roulette, slot machines, entertainment and lively music. It opens at 10am until 2am.
Casino Di Venezia is the interesting place with the oldest games of the world. It was opened in the 16th century and it is very famous among the international crowd because of luxury and entertaining experience.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- All the Museums of Milan are free to enter on the first Sunday of every month. They are very crowded because of the free entry.
- Visit the DMAGAZINE outlet to buy the luxury Italian and international brand products in discounted prices.
- Travel by ATMosfera tram to see Milan in the most romantic way.
- Women will approach you at some tourist spots and ask to sign the anti- drugs, anti- Aids and other petitions. Politely move away and do not indulge yourself in the conversation.