Lviv is undoubtedly an incredibly beautiful city in Ukraine. You will immediately fall in love with the cobbled streets, music festivals, art, and architecture. There are a lot of things to explore and admire.
Why should anyone visit the city?
Lviv is an amazing city that never disappoints its visitors. There are rich history, culture, and amazing beauty with its unique charm. Most of the people visit the city for its festivals. Everything is celebrated here during different parts of the year. There is every type of festivals like music, art, chocolate, cheese, beer, and wine, etc.
How does one get to the destination (airport, ferry, or others)?
Most people use Warsaw, Vienna, and Munich for the layover while visiting Lviv. Many budget airlines also offer good flight deals for Lviv.
There is a direct train to Lviv from Poland and other cities of Ukraine. These trains are well equipped with different facilities, Wi-Fi, and other customs procedures.
Buses operate from different cities to Lviv. You can select from different bus service options whereas some buses get delayed on the border.
You can also walk from Poland to Ukraine from the border. This is very interesting for people with lightweight luggage.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
The overall risk of traveling is very low. Lviv is safer than many other parts of Ukraine whereas there are abundant pickpockets in the tourist areas, bars and night clubs. Public transport and Taxi scam and pickpockets risk are very low.
Lviv is very safe for female solo travelers. The train station and Railway district are unsafe areas late at night.
What’s the weather like?
- March to May is the spring season and a bit colder season. The temperature remains between 21.6 to 4.7 degrees C.
- June to August is the summertime with a very comfortable high temperature. This time is the peak of tourism and high-cost time.
- September to November is the humid, chilly, and windy weather. Rains and snow occur on a significant amount. This is also a busy time and the prices cost high.
- December to February is the coldest time of the year with the lowest temperature of -1.7 degrees C. Tourism remains slow during this period.
What languages are spoken in the area? Is English spoken?
Lviv is located in Western Ukraine so the language of the city is Ukrainian. The second language that is spoken here is Russian. English is not spoken by the majority. It becomes a bit difficult for English speakers to communicate with the locals.
What’s the local currency?
Is US Dollar widely accepted?
The official currency of the city is the Ukrainian Hryvnia. You can exchange US Dollars, Euros, and Russian roubles in different parts of the city whereas cannot directly use US Dollars for the payment. Scottish and Irish notes are not accepted and Pound sterling is only exchanged at limited places.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
- The historic center is the best neighborhood for sightseeing because of the UNESCO world heritage sites. You will find art, architecture, culture, and traditions in this part of the city.
- Halych District is heaven for foodies. It is located near the historic center and offers some of the best restaurants in the city.
- Shevchenko district is the neighborhood with the best nightlife options. This area has some most popular nightclubs, bars, shopping places and funky restaurants.
- Lychakiv district is the best neighborhood to experience the local lifestyle. You can stay in an apartment and interact with the locals.
What’re your top 3 hotels (budget, moderate, luxury) and why?
- On the Square Guesthouse is the backpacker’s place to stay at the market square. It is a wonderful budget accommodation.
- Panorama Lviv Hotel is a four-star accommodation with all the required facilities.
- Nobilis hotel is a luxurious and well-facilitated accommodation option in Lviv. This is one of the hotels with the best interior in Ukraine.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs?
- Uber is a very convenient way to travel for international visitors. Taxi service becomes a bit uncomfortable at night so it is not recommended especially for solo travelers.
- You can get on the 6 no. tram to reach the center of the town. The language is Cyrillic that is printed on the tickets so you have to know your route if you cannot read it.
- Buses are a very convenient source to get around. You can also get to the countryside and suburbs by bus. Some services offer minibusses which are more comfortable for families.
Can you highlight the Top 5 MUST see sightseeing?
- Old town is the best area to see the history of Lviv. It has wonderful architecture and memories of the second world war. Many historical monuments are added to the UNESCO world heritage site. Some of the landmarks are more than 500 years old.
- George’s Cathedral is the catholic cathedral that was started in the 17th century and got completed in the 18th century. The architecture of the building, sculptures, ornated moldings, and Rococo pilasters, and other details worth observing. This is a very fascinating place.
- The market square is the historical central city square that is always crowded with street performers, locals and tourists. There are townhouses, bars, restaurants, and shopping areas near the square.
- Chapel of the Boim Family is the 17th century chapel with the unique beauty in entire Europe and Ukraine. It has stone carvings, marvelous statues, and Latin inscriptions. The dome, sculptures, octagonal lantern, and panels should be carefully observed.
- Pharmacy Museum was opened on the 17th It is considered the oldest pharmacy in Ukraine that is still in business. The library, laboratory, apothecary and the other rooms are almost 300 years old. The ceiling of the building has images of fire, earth, water, and air. You will also see the medical procedures and medicines used hundreds of years ago.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
There are a lot of places that are mandatory to be clicked while being on the trip to Lviv. they are amazing and worth keeping in the travel itinerary memories. Lviv Arsenal and Historical Museum is the best place to click photos. This place is very special for people who have an interest in weaponry.
What about the top 3 restaurants?
There are many places all over the city that serve delicious traditional and international cuisines. Some of the best food places options are:
- Masoch Café – (adult café)
- Kryjivka – Ukrainian Nationalist theme place
- House of Legends – staffed by dwarfs and every room has a different creative theme.
What about the top 3 breakfast places?
You will get the best coffee and morning meals at these restaurants.
- Svit Kavy – unique atmosphere and Lviv’s favourite coffee.
- – European dessert and breakfast shop
- Café Map – blended coffee, pancakes, sandwiches, pies, and many more.
What’s the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
Arsenal Ribs is very famous in Lviv, especially among the locals. If you have friends in Lviv, then they will recommend these. This restaurant serves delicious grilled pork ribs.
What about food markets?
Some of the best food markets are:
- Krakivsky Market
- Halytsky Farmer’s market
- Book flea market
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
These are the best nightlife areas to find some unique and entertaining places for parties.
- Mitskevycha Square
- Rudanskoho Street
- Petrushevycha square
Any rooftop bars or restaurants that you recommend?
The city is the diva of Ukraine. You will find the most amazing rooftop places to enjoy the panoramic views of the city.
- Beer restaurant Kumpel – indoor and outdoor sitting
- Restaurant Valentino – terrace and rooftop
- Restaurant – club party fon
- Restaurant Leopolis
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
You will find many small shops everywhere in the city whereas if you want to visit the shopping areas then the best options are:
Forum Lviv is the best place to enjoy shopping with entertaining activities because it has a food market and cinema.
Victoria Gardens is the best and huge shopping mall in Ukraine. It has plenty of local and international brand stores, food places, and cinema.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
- Castles near Lviv Tour
- Carpathian mountains
- Gastronomic tour to white Croats and caves.
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
Casinos are illegal in Lviv whereas you can play online gambling in the city.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- Do shopping for the weekend because most of the places remain closed on Sundays and sometimes Monday as well.
- Use cash everywhere instead of cards. Exchange the money at a reasonable place for a good conversion rate.
- Tap water is not drinkable.