From hiking and biking to soaking up the sun at some of the most amazing beaches of the world, LA offers a lot of entertainment to its visitors. Apart from beaches and other outdoor activities, there is a lot of shopping and delicious cuisines to try. LA is a perfect holiday destination.
Why should anyone visit the city?
Los Angeles remains on the top of the list for its amazing beach destinations. There are some fascinating coastlines which become more amazing in the summer season. People visit LA mostly for the water sports, beach activities and a lot of shopping.
How does one get to the destination (airport, ferry or others)?
There are five airports which can be used to reach LA from every part of the world. Most commonly used among them is the Los Angeles International Airport or LAX, others are:
- Long Beach (LGB) – To get ferry to Catalina Island
- Hollywood-Burbank Airport (BUR)
- Orange County Airport or John Wayne Airport- Best to visit Disneyland
- Ontario Airport
Metro Rails and Amtrak offer the train travel to Log Angeles from different places. It is a very beautiful and memorable way to reach the city by passing through the sea, mountains and scenic views.
You can book a car from different destinations and plan a fun road trip to LA. There are many stop and eateries on the way.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
Los Angeles has some threats of violence for the tourists in different areas like Skid Row (homeless community), South Central and Compton (threats of shootings, gangs and violence).
Beaches and other tourist places are safe whereas they have the issue of pickpockets, and scams.
What’s the weather like?
- March to May is the spring season with the most comfortable temperature so the city becomes very pleasant to explore. Accommodation prices and tourist crowds are also low during these months.
- June to August are the summer months with humidity, heavy smog and huge crowds of visitors. Transportation, accommodation and other prices are also very high during these months.
- From September to November crowds start decreasing again and the weather begins to cool. Airfares and accommodation prices also decrease during these months.
- December to February are the rainy and freezing cold months. However, most of the award shows and other events happen during these months. You can check the deals on airfare and hotels in these months.
What languages are spoken in the area? Is English spoken?
The most commonly spoken language of Los Angeles is Spanish. There are different people from various countries so they speak their own languages like Chinese, Armenian, Filipino and Korean. English is the second language that is spoken by the locals. This language connects the people with each other.
What’s the local currency?
Is US Dollar widely accepted?
The official currency of Los Angeles is US Dollar. If you need to change the currency, then head towards three locations bureaux de change, Travel agencies or banks whereas keep in mind that all banks do not offer international currency exchange.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
- Hollywood is the most secure and interesting location to stay. Many attractions are closer to each other. The transportation system is also very good and easily available for different locations.
- Beverly Hills is the most affluent, secure and famous area of LA. The green areas are very lovely and unique with many entertaining places. However, this area is expensive with high priced accommodation.
- Santa Monica is the coastal area with many accommodation options for the tourists. This is the best option to stay near the beach. It is safe to walk in the night.
- Venice Beach is also very popular coastal area to stay with many accommodation options. This area is preferred by the backpackers because the prices are lower than Santa Monica.
- Los Feliz is the most amazing option to stay away from the city. It is best to enjoy the views of Hollywood, visit parks, museums and walk around.
What’re your top 3 hotels (budget, moderate, luxury) and why?
- Santa Monica Hostel is the best option to stay in budget with many nearby locations like shops, theatres, restaurants, cafes, pubs, Santa Monica beach, Malibu and Venice beach.
- Samesun Venice Beach hostel is located near the muscle beach. There are shared rooms with many facilities like free Wi-Fi, breakfast and beautiful views of the coastline area. Hostel also offers the bicycling rental service.
- Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills is the famous hotel for its luxurious accommodation and services. The 5-star hotel offers spa, Wi-Fi, Outdoor pool, balconies, restaurant and many more.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs?
- Car Rentals are very low priced in the LA and it is a very easy way to get around. You can easily find their office at all the famous attractions, hotels and airports whereas try to book in advance to avoid any hassle. From 7 to 9 am and 3 to 7 pm there is a lot of traffic so use GPS and maps to check the traffic condition.
- Public Transport is very easy way to use to reach almost every part of Los Angeles including major tourist attractions. It includes DASH buses, Metro buses, trains and subways. You can buy a TAP card to use these public transportations.
- Taxi and cabs are easily available every where that you can easily hire. They charge the fare according to the miles on the meter. Use the app “Curb” to schedule a ride to go anywhere.
- Ride Share options include the Uber and Lyft services. Their estimated fares are cheap as compared to the taxis and other transportation. You can simply download the app and get estimated fare while booking.
Mostly there are huge traffic jams at different places so plan your trips by adding some extra time especially for the tourist attractions.
Can you highlight the Top 5 MUST see sightseeing?
Universal Studios Hollywood
The theme park which is based on different famous movies of Universal Studios is a must visit place in Los Angeles. It is currently used as a movie studio where different projects keep going on but it is also used as a tourist attraction. You can explore the wizarding world of Harry Potter, Simpsons, the walking dead, transformers, Jurassic World ride, houses, studios and many stimulators, rides and roller coasters in the park.
Griffith Park and Griffith Observatory
It is the eastern side of the Santa Monica Mountains that make a 4210 acres’ park. There are a lot of activities to do in this place like visiting the Los Angeles Zoo, Greek Theatre, Planetarium, Griffith observatory and a lot more. There are scenic roads to drive, walking trails and a lot more.
Disneyland is the family vacation destination with a variety of activities. It is a theme park that is made with different Disney sets, rides, Disney movie castles, restaurants, shopping and many attractions. You will find almost every Disney character roaming around in the park and clicking pictures with the visitors.
Famous neighborhood is not only the place to stay and eat whereas it is a complete tourist attraction to explore. It is associated with the film industry with the huge sign of Hollywood on the hillside. There is a Hollywood boulevard, Chinese Theatre and Walk of Fame (stars with the names of famous personalities). You can roam around the streets and might spot a celebrity.
The Getty Center
It is a huge complex located on the Santa Monica Mountains designer by Richard Meier. It is a very impressive museum with beautiful grounds and unique building. There are Original art works of many European Artists, Sculptures, decorative art pieces, drawings and many more. There are many artifacts from Stone age and Roman empire.
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles
The museum has extensive permanent collection including Dinosaur skeletons, Tyrannosaurus Rex fossils, Stegosaurus, Triceratops and dinosaur skeletons from baby to adult ages. It also has an insect zoo and discovery center with a 500 years of history. It is a must visit attraction especially for the kids.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
There are a lot of places to click unforgettable moments whereas the best place to click some unique photos is the Peterson Automotive Museum that keeps a lot of permanent and temporary exhibits of cars and motorbikes. The collection displays the vehicles from 18th century to the modern times.
What about the top 3 restaurants?
Socalo – Mexican restaurant by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger. It offers delicious meal options, cocktails, burritos and many more. This place welcomes a lot of tourists and locals for its amazing food menu.
Olivetta – consists of four different rooms with gorgeous ambiance of four different styles. The menu has a mix of Italian and LA local food. Some of the must try options are grilled Branzino, Kale Salad and Rye Macaroni.
Hotville Chicken- is filled with the delicious smell of spices and food. It is owned by the Family of Nashville hot chicken. You can try the delicious flavor of South with the typical spices.
What about the top 3 breakfast places?
- Mary and Robbs Westwood Café is a place that never focuses on something fancy. However, you can get the delicious scrambled eggs, blueberry pancakes, Breakfast burritos and Coffee for the morning meal.
- Eat’n Park Restaurant was made in 1928. It is a popular breakfast place for its basic things like pancakes, eggs and interesting social experience.
- Gaffey St. Diner is well known among the locals and tourists. The food portions are generous and breakfast has delicious things like pancakes, biscuits and gravy, egg, tortillas, sausage and many more.
What’s the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
There are many foods which must be tried in Los Angeles whereas the bets one is the French Dip Sandwich. The French roll has thin sliced beef that is served with beef juice, Swiss cheese and onions.
What about food markets?
- The Original Farmers Market is an open market with a lot of food stalls and specialties. Some of the stalls are run by families, expert chefs and top businesses.
- Smorgasburg is a huge Sunday market with a variety of food stalls and vintage market selling cassettes, CD’s, vintage art pieces, T-shirt and clothes.
- Grand Central Market is the best market with huge space. There are many food businesses stalls and local vendors.
- KTOWN Night Market is a weekend Korean market. There are food stalls, Korean beauty products, live music and a lot of shopping options.
- Los Angeles Whole Sale Produce Market is the best place to buy products in big quantities. There are fresh organic food products, herbs, fruits, vegetables and different types of meat.
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
- Downtown Los Angeles and China Town is the youthful and vibrant neighborhood with many bars, clubs, restaurant and entertainment places.
- Hollywood is the modern, stylish and stunning neighborhood with nightlife places for every type of mood. You might see a celebrity at an entertainment place.
- Sunset strip is popular among the locals and visitors of Los Angeles. This is a best party choice of locals.
- Santa Monica is famous for many attractions whereas it is also an amazing place for some gih end bars, roof top spaces, and sandy surf bars.
Any rooftop bars or restaurants that you recommend?
- Mama Shelter is the best place to enjoy a stunning roof top seating with the stunning views of Hollywood, Downtown LA and wonderful surroundings.
- Terra is the roof top at Eataly Los Angeles which is the Italian market. The lounge seating is surrounded by the greenery and lights. This is a very beautiful spot for a roof top dinner and cocktail.
- Catch L.A can be recognized by the lanes of luxury vehicles in front of it. the open air dinning room remains filled with locals and tourists for the delicious seafood and drinks.
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
There are a lot of shopping places in Los Angeles. Almost every area has different types of small markets where you can buy many things for yourself and as souvenirs. One of the best shopping malls of LA is the West field Century City mall. It has movie theatres, food court, restaurants, local and international famous brand stores and a lot of entertainment.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
Following places are best to plan a day trip from Los Angeles:
- Santa Catalina Island
- Santa Barbara, Stern’s Wharf
- Laguna Beach
- Palm springs
- Malibu (beaches)
- Joshua Tree National Park
- San Diego
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
Los Angeles has a lot of entertainment options and gaming is one of them. You can visit some of the most interesting and entertaining casinos in LA. Bicycle Hotel and Casino is one of the best and most famous with a variety of games. Legend of Poker tournament is held in this casino. It is very famous in Los Angeles and its visitors.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- Plan your trip from March to May or September to November. This is the most wonderful time to explore the city.
- Leave some space in your luggage for the shopping in LA.
- Get a sim card from the terminals as you reach the city according to your time of stay.
- Some parts of LA outskirts and city center are not safe. Be careful and avoid walking alone late at night.