London is among the top tourist and business destinations. There is rich history, culture, tradition, royal palaces and castles, restaurants, amazing hotels and a variety of entertainment places. This is the city of art, culture and innovation.
Why should anyone visit the city?
There are a lot of things that London offers to its visitors. Royal buildings in their perfect form (not ruins), art places, latest fashion trends and a variety of food from different countries and cultures. You can see the perfectly preserved history of 2000 years.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
London is safe to travel alone. The general travel precautions are important to be followed.
- Be careful about your belongings in crowded places.
- Be careful about your drinks in the bar and never accept any drink or snack from strangers or new friends.
- Be careful while walking out at night.
- The less secure areas of London are Westminster, Camden, Newham, Lambeth and Southwark. These areas have many attractions and accommodation options.
What’s the weather like?
March, April and May are the most pleasant months to visit London. December is the wettest month because of unexpected heavy rains. January, October and November has lesser precipitation. The coldest month is February and the hottest is August. Different flight deals are offered from September to December for London.
Is the US Dollar widely accepted?
Pound sterling is the currency that is accepted everywhere in UK so you will not be able to use dollars directly. Cash exchange are commonly available in markets and hotels. You can check the list of the exchange rates they are offering. It is always less than the bank. The code for dollar is USD and British pound is GBP.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
Convent garden is the perfect neighborhood to stay for the food and restaurants. The streets have a variety of local and international eateries. China town is located at a five minutes’ walk. This area is recommended to the first timers of London.
Soho is perfect to enjoy the nightlife and tourist vibe. There is a variety of pubs, clubs, theatres, different music and dance places. You will find some great traditional English pubs in this area.
South Bank and Bankside
Bank side is the perfect area for sightseeing and stay among the most popular attractions of London. There are many historical areas, museums and shopping places.
South Kensington and Marylebone
These areas are perfect to stay with families. Most of the accommodations are designed according to families. There are museums, parks, playgrounds, zoo and many attractions in the neighborhood.
What’re your top 3 hotels and why?
This famous hotel started operating on the banks of the Thames in eighteenth century. It is very close to the Royal opera house, Convent garden and British museum. Many famous personalities stayed in this hotel. The interior is Edwardian and art deco with elegant marble flooring. Different designer brands and exclusive shopping places are also very close.
It is considered as the most beautiful hotel of London with best services. The red building can be easily recognized. The entrance floor is made of black and white marble tiles. Interior has major part of modern vibe and art décor style. There is a tea lounge, restaurant, spa, gym and many other facilities inside the building.
The trendy and modern hotel invites its guests to enjoy the wonderful services. It is located on a cobbled street, very close to Liverpool station and Spitalfields market. The overall vibe of the hotel takes you back to the eighteenth century. The old fashioned lamps and quirky interior is the perfect combination of modern and ancient feel. This is a very romantic place to stay in London.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs? Include links to public services
London is among the peak tourist destinations so there are ample of transportation choices.
- Tube is the underground transportation that connects almost every part of London. This is the oldest network that started operating in eighteenth century. Tube is also available over ground whereas it is new and made after the underground. The complete system is distributed 50% under and 50% over ground. The fare is also same for both.
- Docklands light Railway or DLR is available in the dockland areas. There is no driver and it is a totally automatic system that operates in the east and south east of the central area. The fare is same as the Tube.
- There is the rail service for the suburbs of London. There are fast trains that connect London with neighboring locations.
- There is a number of bus services available in London for different routes. The fare is very low and they can take you to any part of the city.
- Other services are trams, taxis and river boats. The new public transportation in London is the bicycle. You will find many bicycle stops easily. Uber faced a lot of legal issues in the city so it is no more available in London.
Can you highlight the MUST see sight? Minimum of 5, feel free to share as many as you would like.
You will find the goths, tourists, and punks of the city in this cultural neighborhood. This part of the city is very lively and vibrant. You should visit the place to explore this side of London. There are many piercing studios, gothic accessories, trinkets, handicrafts and tattoo shops in Camden. You will also find many food stalls and restaurant with a variety of international and local dishes.
London eye is the iconic attraction that is a must visit. it was constructed for the millennium celebration whereas this is a giant wheel of ferries offering superb city views. It is a master piece place where many events of London are celebrated with lights and fireworks.
It is one of the largest and oldest parks of London. Different sides of the park offer various city views. There are large ponds, wooded areas and wildlife in the park. This is a great place to explore nature in London.
It is the biggest and most exclusive luxury brand store of London. You can visit it to see the brands outlets and their latest products. There are some exclusive eateries also in the Harrods. Everything is very expensive.
Palace of Westminster
This is the gothic building with huge spires and the famous “Big Ben” clock tower. This is the must visit site by the side of Thames river.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
The tower bridge is the popular landmark that is considered as the identity of the city. You can click some amazing panoramic shots of this area with beautiful towers and blue ascents.
What is the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
London has a variety of cuisines whereas when you are visiting Britain then the dish should be British specialty. One of the famous British classics is the Sunday Roast with Yorkshire pudding. You can get it with a variety of meats like beef, pork, turkey, lamb or chicken. It is also available in vegetable options but so not miss forget the pudding.
What about food markets?
- Berwick street market is one of the oldest markets of London. It opens every Sunday from 8am to 6pm. This market started operating in seventeenth century and most of the parts are still undeveloped. You will find the longest flower stall of London with a variety of foods and other shops.
- Canopy market has designer food stalls and some of the places serve best wines of the town. There are many food options. It opens on every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On Friday there are live music and Dj shows also organized. It is located near the Kings cross station.
- Broadway Market is the most popular market of London. There are many book stores, shops, cafes and restaurants in the area. You can try a lot of different local and international foods.
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
- Mayfair is located in the heart of London and considered as the most expensive area of the city. There are different five star hotels, restaurants and bars in this area. This is the perfect place to spend an exclusive evening. This area is not recommended to budget travelers.
- East London has many exclusive restaurants and clubs which are culturally very interesting. Some of the high end fashion places of London are located here like Shore ditch and Dalston.
- If you want to enjoy the circus in an evening with a hypnotizing environment, then Cirque Le Soir is the destination. There are magic tricks, performers, acrobats and many more with vibrant night life. However, they have a selective audience so book before you plan.
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
This is the best part of London to have some extra ordinary shopping experience. This is the luxury shopping place and is famous around the world. Most of the brands are historically existing at this place. This is the best, most elegant and very expensive area to shop in London with a variety of international brands like Mulberry, Cartier, Chanel, Burberry and more.
Harrods is the name associated with luxury brands. This is also famous around the world for its selective luxury brands. It is the place to do very expensive and exclusive shopping. There are many finest restaurants, products, shops and brands in the huge building of Harrods. You can book an appointment for the luxury shopping to get assisted by the retail team. They will assist you to buy the best luxury things.
Being at the prime location of the city, Piccadilly welcomes thousands of visitors every day. It suits both the budget and interest buyers. The must visit store at Piccadilly is Fortnum and Mason. There are different restaurants and galleries which you can visit.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
Bath has a thousand years old rich history and it is visited by a lot of people. It is basically a beautiful spa town. It was built by Romans who created temples near the hot springs areas. There are many attractions, temples, parks, Georgian houses and many other places to explore. The natural hot springs of Bath are perfect to relax and enjoy the serenity of cultural area. You can plan a wonderful one-day trip to Bath.
Thames is one of the most important parts of London. A big portion of economy relies on the longest river of England. It is said that the initial settlement started in this area with the banks of Thames from the prehistoric times. Thames cruise is an amazing way to explore the river and its attractions. You can easily book the trip online.
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
Yes, Casinos are allowed and London has around 30 of them. You need membership for some casinos. Maxims Casino Club was built during the eighteenth century. This is an amazing historical and gaming place. The gaming rooms are impressively equipped with some of the best machines. You can get the membership in 24 hours by providing your Passport and identity.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- There are scammers who sell fake tickets for shows, attractions and music events.
- People ask for your phone to make call and you never get it back.
- Beware of pickpockets in crowded places.
- Restaurant bills already have service charges included in them so do not give tips. The service charge is optional so you can pay only the check if you do not want to pay the service.
- London is a very big city so keep the google map and learn about the areas.