Jaipur is one of the most famous tourist destinations of India because of history and cultural roots. This is the land of Kings / Maharajas of Mughals, Rajput and other dynasties. There are many festivals and fairs celebrated in the city. Tourists especially book hotels made in historical buildings.
Why should anyone visit the city?
The city has a lot of cultural and historical places which worth visiting. There are many forts and palaces belonging to different dynasties. Most of them are still in their ancient shape by converting them into the hotels and resorts. Some of the famous places every tourist should visit are amber Palace, Nahargarh Fort, Hawa Mahal, Jal Mahal and others.
How does one get to the destination (airport, ferry or others)?
The nearest airport that welcomes flights for Jaipur is the Jaipur international airport. Frequent domestic and international flights are available to and from all around the world.
There is a train named Palace on wheels that is also available from the railway junction. It is designed with the complete royal ambiance of old times. You can book it from Delhi to different parts of Rajasthan.
Jaipur is very well connected with the neighboring cities by National highway. You can plan a wonderful road trip to the city from many parts of India by booking bus or renting a car.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
The city has a huge population of monkeys at many tourist areas. Avoid carrying open food to stop getting attention from the animals. They snatch belongings so hold your phone and wallet tightly. They sometimes bite people that is severe and transmit diseases. Other issue is of Pick Pockets, beggars and fake police officers. Never leave your precious belongings or electronics in the hotel room because they get stolen. Apart from pickpockets, scammers and fake police there is an issue of harassment for females. Women should dress conservatively and avoid having conversations with strangers. Sexual assaults are very common so do not allow anyone come closer in tourist areas or click pictures with you. Taxi drivers also try to scam so negotiate the amount before getting into the car.
What’s the weather like?
Jaipur has three types of weather and it is very important to do research about it while planning the trip. Summer is very hot and dry, winter is also very dry and warm the third season is the excessive rainfall season.
- October to March is the winter season and the best time to visit Jaipur. This is the time when most of the festivals happen. Maximum temperature fall is 4o
- April to June is the rise of the temperature that reaches to maximum 45o Sightseeing is near to impossible due to the scorching heat and hot winds throughout the day time.
- July to September is the rainfall season. It is also not a very pleasant season to see Jaipur because of rains.
What languages are spoken in the area? Is English spoken?
Hindi is used as the official language in Jaipur. Different dialects are also used like Dhundari and Marvari. Government and official works are done in English language. It is spoken in the main tourist areas whereas a lot of locals understand English.
What’s the local currency?
Is US Dollar widely accepted?
Official currency of Jaipur is Indian Rupee that is used everywhere in the city. You have to use ATM, credit cards or money exchange for purchase of products and services. Five star hotels and other luxury places can accept US Dollars otherwise it is illegal to accept for most of the businesses. It is better to exchange the currency to get the good rates and avoid the hassle.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
- Sansarchandra and Station Roads is close to the old city with many historical attractions. It is a dusty and noisy area whereas it has many traditional havelis and luxury hotels to stay.
- Old City is well known for its markets, stalls and places belonging to 18th This area is the best place to see the traditional side of Jaipur. The shops have rugs, leather goods, souvenir products, fabric, shoes and many more.
- Amber Fort and Man Sagar Lake is the best area to stay for the families. Although the other sides of the old town have a lot of traffic and pollution whereas these two areas are cleaner and better to stay.
- Bani Park is the foodie’s paradise with a huge variety of food. There are many shops, eateries, cafes, hotels and many more. You can find every type of place and ambiance in this area. some nice bars are also located in this area.
What’re your top 3 hotels (budget, moderate, luxury) and why?
- Jaipur Haveli is a very nice place to stay with free wifi, restaurant, lounge and many amenities. Washrooms have hairdryer, shower and complimentary toiletries. Hotel also has a very nice terrace and garden.
- Madhuban – A Heritage Home is located near the railway and bus station of Jaipur. Hotel rooms have free internet, TV, Seating area, Hairdryer and complimentary toiletries. You can have delicious Rajasthani and continental food at the restaurant.
- Radisson Blu Jaipur is the luxurious hotel. It offers fitness center, spa, outdoor pool and restaurant with wonderful ambiance. Breakfast restaurant offers Continental, American and European dishes. Rooms have free internet, personal safe, mini bar, executive lounge access and many other facilities.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs?
- Jaipur Bus is the main transportation used by the locals offered by Rajasthani government. They are very low priced low floor busses.
- RTDC buses are the best way to get around in Jaipur. There are deluxe buses, AC, Non AC, Taxis and many other types. Their fares vary according to their type and distance. They goes to many tourist attractions.
- Auto Rickshaw is a very common and quick way to get around the city. It is very convenient in the crowded areas because it can easily pass from narrow streets, markets and traffic. Book the rickshaw from the prepaid booth.
- Radio Taxi is the on call car service that conveniently pick you up from your destination. You get the contact number when you book the taxi. It can be easily recognized by their vehicles. You can also use the Old and Uber service in Jaipur to travel.
- Cycle rickshaws are very commonly available in the streets, bazaars and near almost every historical monument. This is the best way to have a different ride and take stunning photographs of the places.
Can you highlight the Top 5 MUST see sightseeing?
- Jantar Mantar looks like a place filled with abstract sculptures. This place is almost three hundred years old constructed with a collection of astronomical sculptures used as astronomy tools. It is listed in the UNESCO world heritage site.
- Amber Fort is the fifteenth century fort that is one of the most sites of Jaipur. The sandstone and marble structure is the best example of the signature architecture style of Rajasthan. It is located on a very short hike. It is listed in the UNESCO world heritage site due to its amazing history.
- Albert Hall Museum is the oldest museum of Rajasthan. It has extensive collection of coins, paintings, art, artifacts and a lot more. It also has Egyptian Mummy, costumes and sculptures. This is the best place to see the tradition, culture and history of Rajasthan.
- City Palace is enchanting and fairy tale structure located in the heart of the old city. This is a complex of buildings, garden courtyards and lake. It is a mix of Rajasthan and Mughal architecture. It is best for a day tour and never forget to book the tour to explore the upper floors.
- Jal Mahal is a very calm sight. It is the palace located in the lake. This palace appears only one level on the water and the remaining four levels area beneath the water reservoir. It is a very beautiful sight that looks more magical in the night.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
Museum of legacies is the best place to take photos of the culture, tradition, handicrafts, art and history of Jaipur. It is located in a centuries old mansion. The best suggestion is to hire a cycle rickshaw at the historical monuments or have a walk to take amazing photographs.
What about the top 3 restaurants?
Cinnamon Jai Mahal Palace is a restaurant that offers India food. You can also find some Vegan and Gluten free options in the menu. It is a combination of amazing ambiance, heritage, taste and welcoming staff.
Suvarna Mahal at Rambagh Palace is the restaurant made in the historical building surrounded by beautiful gardens. Delicious menu with a variety of appetizers, main course items and desserts, amazing ambiance makes it a memorable experience.
The Verandah is the restaurant made inside the Rambagh palace. The surreal and calm ambiance is rich with the taste of heritage and tradition. Food menu has a variety of traditional and international cuisines.
What about the top 3 breakfast places?
Tapri Central is located in the heart of the city. You can select many delicious dishes from their breakfast menu. Special cutting chai will make the breakfast more amazing.
Indian Coffee house is the best place to try the South Indian Dishes for breakfast. The options are uttapam, vada, dosas, dili, sandwiches and delicious coffee.
Waylay has a wide range of shakes, chai, coffee and food items to add in the morning meal. The best part of having a meal at this place is the ambiance.
What’s the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
India has a huge variety of food that includes dishes from different provinces and cultures. You can try many delicious foods whereas Pyaz Kachori is highly recommended. It is one of the traditional Rajasthani food. This food is very delicious and amazing. This thali has almost 50 varieties to add in the combination.
What about food markets?
Farmer’s Market is the place that provides the opportunity to the local people to sell their products. There is a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy products and organic goods. Many vendors sell homemade and homegrown products in the market. Other markets which worth buying cooked and uncooked foods are Ambabari Vegetable Market and Bapu bazar.
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
Adarsh Nagar Jaipur has a lot of clubs, bars, cafes and restaurants. There are many shops and stalls where you can do shopping before getting the evening drinks and food.
Tonk road has clubs, bars, light show and historical monuments to explore. Many vibrant places are perfect to enjoy the evening and interactive gathering.
Any rooftop bars or restaurants that you recommend?
- The Terrace Grill is one of the oldest restaurants of Jaipur with wonderful ambiance. The place is perfect to sit on the roof top and enjoy panoramic views of the surroundings.
- Jaipur Adda is the best place to enjoy the food and nightlife of the city. It is a very interactive place with live music. The menu has a variety of traditional and international cuisines.
- Peacock rooftop restaurant is the pocket friendly place with delicious food. The rooftop offers the beautiful panoramic views of the surrounding and the old Hathroi Fort.
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
There are a lot of places for shopping in Jaipur. Almost every historical monument and tourist attraction has shops and stalls where you can buy many products and souvenirs. Some places for shopping are:
Johri Bazaar is the best market to buy every kind of jewelry. There are many place where Rajasthani traditional dresses are made.
Bapu Bazaar is the best place to buy different types of clothing from different cultures of India especially Rajasthan. You can also match the complimentary jewelry and accessories with the dresses.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
The best places for the day trip from Jaipur are:
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
Gambling is illegal in India. Hence, there are no casinos in Jaipur whereas you can visit the places in the outskirts of the city like Casino Royale Yak and Yeti hotel, Hyatt Regency hotel.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- Popular attractions are crowded during the peak tourist season. It is better to book in advance for accommodation and main attractions.
- Learn about the city before visiting it. Most of the times tourists are unaware of the prices and end up paying a huge amount.
- Respect the culture and religion whereas never become a part of any protest or share your opinion about the religions in India.
- Beware of scammers, pick pocket and fake police.