Dubai Travel Guide
Dubai is the most convenient destination for people around the world. Sometimes people increase their flight layover time in Dubai and turn it into a small vacation. It is well known for its luxury shopping, vibrant nightlife and entertaining activities. This is an Islamic destination but welcomes visitors from all over the world.
Why should anyone visit the city?
Dubai is the city of exclusive shopping experience. Almost every luxury brand has their franchise in the city to offer their best and unique products. You will find a number of glamorous shopping areas. Another amazing thing about the city is the food. You will find a huge variety of food in Dubai from every continent of the world.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
Dubai has strict law enforcement for the safety of locals and tourists. It is safe for the solo travelers. There are safety standards for everything like food, lifestyle and attractions. Dubai is among to top safest destinations of the world. It is a Muslim city so there are some Islamic culture laws applied in the society.
What’s the weather like?
Dubai is visited by people around the years whereas it welcomes a huge number of tourists from November to April. The weather is pleasant and outdoor activities are on their peak. A drawback is that the price of everything is increased during this time. May, September and October are the hottest months of Dubai. Only beaches and swimming areas are perfect to visit during this time. June, July and August are extremely harsh and hot months. The visitors crowd is very low and the temperature sometimes reaches 40oC.
Is the US Dollar widely accepted?
Yes, US dollar is accepted in many places in Dubai. Many places mention the prices in dollars and dirham. It is the official currency of Dubai. You can exchange the money from anywhere in the market, shopping malls or hotels easily.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
Jumeirah beach residence (JBR)
This is the home of some of the best hotels and restaurants. It is the best place to stay for the food lovers. There are a number of eateries which offer unique ambiance and different activities like live belly dance show and live music.
Dubai creek area is like a residence near the river whereas it is just a part diverted from the sea. This is the best cultural and local Dubai to stay. There are parks, golf courses and a lot of other attractions in the neighborhood.
It is located near the Dubai creek and is perfect to stay with family. There are a number of sightseeing and other attractions close to it. You can easily access a lot of attractions without making long plans.
It is the oldest and the most traditional area of Dubai to explore some typical souks (markets) and local lifestyle of the city. Some of the luxury and designer products are sold in the souks.
What’re your top 3 hotels and why?
It is located in the tallest building of the world, Burj Khalifa. The bottom eight floors are occupied by the luxury hotel. The interior and other things are designed by the famous fashion designer Giorgio Armani. There are five different types of restaurants in the hotel.
Jumeirah Mina A’Salam
This is called the mini Venice of Dubai. The venetian styled water ways are given from the Arabian Gulf. There are some hot spots of Dubai in the proximity. It is a beautiful and unique place to stay.
Burj Al Arab
It is the first seven-star hotel of the world. It is an amazing and luxurious hotel with the 24 carat gold interior and Swarovski crystals ceiling. The complimentary toiletries are of the brand Hermes. This is the next level luxury hotel to stay.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs? Include links to public services
The summer season and the highways with the 100km/hr speed vehicles make it impossible to explore Dubai on foot or motorbike. There are many transportations available to explore the city.
- Taxi is the most convenient and efficient way to explore Dubai. There is an abundance of cabs and taxis on the street which you can easily hire from the road side. They charge according to the destination but it is better to negotiate before getting in.
- Careem is exactly like Uber. This is becoming popular in many countries around the world. This is the local app of Dubai from which a cab can be hired anywhere. The estimated charges appear on the screen before hiring the vehicle.
- Dubai Metro is the public transport and the cheapest way to go anywhere. The metro is designed with the most scenic views of the city and its surroundings. Travelling through it is an entertainment. There are only two routes of it and travelers need to get a taxi to got to the other places.
- Big Bus tour is also a transportation available that is perfect for the sight-seeing of Dubai. It is a double decker bus that passes through all the popular places and attractions of the city. The double decker is filled with a lot of entertainment.
- Water taxi is not a common way but it is very fun and unique to ride a scenic boat. The trip is very entertaining and filled with a lot of amazing views of the city. You can book in advance to have a nice trip to see the attractions.
Can you highlight the MUST see sight? Minimum of 5, feel free to share as many as you would like.
It is the most iconic attraction that is famous all around the world. It is the tallest building in the world with a famous Armani hotel, different restaurants, scenic views of the city, sky lounge and a lot of other activities. The sky lounge of Burj Khalifa is the tallest lounge of the world. This building is famous all around the world and it is an identity of Dubai.
You can see the ancient trade routes and connections of Dubai. There are amazing spices, textile and gold souks (markets) of Dubai in this area. You can see the history of the city here along with the Dubai museum.
The Dubai Fountain
It is a must visit fountain show and one of the top activities of the evening. You can see it at the base of Burj Khalifa and the entrance of the Dubai Mall. It is the biggest fountain system of the world. This is very popular among visitors. You will find a lot of locals and visitors watching the fountain show. It is free to watch but you have to check the time of the show.
You can stroll at the largest manmade marina of the world at the Dubai Marina. There are a lot of record setting places in Dubai that make it one of the top destination of the world. You can enjoy delicious food at one of the restaurants of Dubai Marina. There is a yacht tour as well that gives a tour of Marina.
The desert safari of Dubai is a very famous activity of the city. Every visitor of the city loves to experience the Majestic Arabian Desert. There are many activities like quad biking, sandboarding and off-roading to do. You can roam around the dunes and relax in the resort and spa.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood
You will see the bygone era and the traditional life of Dubai. You can join some Arabic learning classes and heritage tours along with the guided tours of mosque. There are a lot of locations to take some unique photos of traditional and historical Dubai.
What is the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
Camel meat and milk is the increasing demand in Dubai from the last few decades. Emirates people never used to eat this much camel meat before that. There are a lot of camel dishes available in the restaurants. They are unique because camel milk and meat is a little saltier. Dubai has many other delicious cuisines to enjoy from different parts of the world. You can also try the deserts made with camel milk cream and flavors.
What about food markets?
- Ripe market is the most visited stall market of Dubai. There are a plenty of crafts, fresh products, organic goods and food stalls in the market.
- Karama Market Dubai offers fresh seafood and organic products. you will find many places to sit and enjoy delicacies.
- Dubai Supermarket is the best place for the families. There are many food places which are best for the family to sit and enjoy food.
- Global village is the home of a variety of specialty products from local and international sellers. There is a variety of food made by the international chefs.
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
- White Dubai has been the club of the year for three consecutive years. It is one of the most exclusive places of the city. This club only open in winter season.
- Armani/Prive is the classic club located in the Armani Hotel, Burj Khalifa. The nights become more lively with the local and international Dj’s in the vibrant parties.
- Cirque Le Soir is the chic night club that is very popular in Dubai. It is circus filled with glamour music and a lot of entertainment.
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
Ibn Battuta Mall is the mall inspired by the ventures of the Moroccan explorer. Entire place is designed according to a proper theme and is considered as the largest thematic mall of the world. The other luxury shopping place is the Dubai mall that is the best retail experience and one of the biggest malls of the world.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
- Desert Safari is the most amazing activity to surf the sand dunes, camel ride and explore the desert. There are many live cultural performances are organized in the desert.
- Dubai Marina yacht tour is the perfect way to explore marina, famous building and attractions with delicious breakfast and lunch on the yacht.
- Plan a Dubai cruise tour to explore the outskirts of Dubai through a beautiful water tour.
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
Gambling is not allowed anywhere in the UAE so you will not find any casino in Dubai. Although a number of business people and celebrities visit Dubai but there are no gambling places in the city.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- Dubai is a Muslim destination so the month of Ramadan is celebrated with great respect. Some of the places are closed during the daytime so travelers should show respect as well.
- Try to book accommodation in advance especially if you are visiting from October to April. This is the peak tourism season and the city is visited by crowds.
- Men and Women dress modestly in the Islamic culture. Do not wear exposing clothes while exploring the city to avoid unwanted attention.
- It is a wonderful destination. Never forget exploring the cultural sides of the city. Get an idea about the prices because most of the places in Dubai are very expensive.