The city filled with energy has a lot of famous parks, temples, historical monuments and many more. Historical sites and cultural beauty is combined with modern lifestyle and opened doors of tourism to the world. You can enjoy many amazing things in Denpasar.
Why should anyone visit the city?
The city has captivating natural scene and amazing beaches. You can visit Denpasar for the unique limestone cliffs and white soft sand. There is a huge variety of water activities and sports for which you can specially make a plan to visit the Denpasar.
How does one get to the destination (airport, ferry or others)?
- Denpasar international airport is the main airport used to welcome the flights from every major destination of the world.
- Denpasar is well connected to the cities of Bali by highway and roads.
- Bali is famous in South East Asia for the cruise trips. You can reach Denpasar from different destinations by the beautiful sea route.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
Over all safety risk in Denpasar is medium because there are a lot of scams and pickpocketing. Sometimes there are natural disasters during the harsh weather time. In rare cases, there is an issue of theft in the rooms of villas and other private places to stay. Do not leave your valuables in the room.
What’s the weather like?
The temperature of Denpasar is almost same throughout the year. There are very minor changes in different seasons. Tourism remains the same in every month.
April to October are the dry months of Denpasar whereas from October to March it remains wet due to precipitation.
What languages are spoken in the area? Is English spoken?
Indonesian and Balinese are the official languages of Denpasar that most of the local community speaks. There is a huge tourism industry in the city due to that a lot of locals speak excellent English language. Tourists in most of the areas have no problem in communicating.
What’s the local currency?
Is US Dollar widely accepted?
The official currency of the city is Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) that is widely used everywhere. US Dollar is accepted at many places. You will see the prices displayed in both IDR and USD at many hotels, activity spots and eateries. The money exchange places exchange almost all the currencies of the world so there is not issue to get or use money anywhere in Denpasar.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
The coastline is shared with almost every area so you can find beautiful scenic accommodation everywhere. Some of the best areas to stay are:
- Sanur Beach is the town near the seaside. It has shallow waters, almost on the entire stretch of the beach offering many activities. There are fishing boats, cycling path, temple built by corals to visit, art galleries and eateries. You can stay here to enjoy the serenity.
- Downtown Kuta is the best area to stay for surfing and other water activities. There are nightclubs, dive bars, aggressive hawkers, traffic and a huge vibrant scene at this area. If you want to see the real hustle bustle of the island, then you can stay here.
- Ubud is the area perfect for sightseeing and outdoor activities like cliff sculptures visiting, UNESCO world heritage sites exploration, visiting Bali zoo and many more. Ubud does not offer water activities like surfing, diving and snorkeling.
What’re your top 3 hotels (budget, moderate, luxury) and why?
- Best Western Kuta Beach is the budget place to stay with beautiful views, infinity pool and many facilities. Free Wi-Fi is available in the entire hotel. Every room has minibar, TV, tea coffee machines and many more. There is the luggage storage and 24 hour help desk service.
- Viceroy Bali is located in Ubud among the luxurious villas and private pools. There is a infinite pool and stunning views of the jungle. The hotel offers free shuttle service to the Ubud center to its guests.
- Grand Hyatt Bali is the luxurious accommodation by the Hyatt luxury hotel chains. There are 5 outdoor pools, balconies with every room, spa and 8 dining rooms. You can enjoy signature amenities and other facilities in the hotel throughout the stay.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs?
- Grab and Gojek are the best travelling apps in the city are the best and quick option to get around.
- Scooter and bike are the interesting and independent option to get around. You can rent one for your entire stay and the charges will be reasonable according to that.
- Taxis are good to travel but the travel apps are more economical. Otherwise using them is not a problem because taxis are metered.
- Local bus services are also available for different destinations in Bali.
Can you highlight the Top 5 MUST see sightseeing?
- Bajra Sandhi Monument is located in the heart of the city. It was constructed in nineteenth century as the memory of the war struggles of Balinese people. This is the perfect place to see the culture and traditional life of Balinese people.
- Le Mayeur Museum is the major display of the works of Adrien Jean from eighteenth century. He used to live here with his wife. After the death of the artist, his wife generously dedicated the house to his works donated it as the museum.
- Sakenan Temple is the most popular and biggest attraction of Denpasar. It plays an important role in the history of Hindu and Balinese culture. Many devotees visit this place from all over the world.
- Shark Island is the conservation nursery of sharks. This is the best entertaining and family activity place with a very friendly environment. You can swim, play and feed the sharks. The place is very safe and the activities are done under proper guidance.
- Bali Provincial Public Museum is the place for the culture and historical enthusiasts. It is a very interesting place to explore the Balinese culture, tradition and environment. This is main museum of the city and the oldest landmark with thousands of exhibited products.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
There are a lot of places filled with nature, art and culture which are perfect to capture as the memory of the trip. However, Werdi Budaya Art center is the best place to click some unique images. There are many artifacts and artistic things to make the photos unique.
What about the top 3 restaurants?
- Warung Gula Bali is the place to have the heritage cuisines of Bali. There are delicious seafood and vegetable dishes cooked in the traditional Balinese style. It is the hidden gem to enjoy some delicious cuisines.
- DCost Seafood is the unique sea food places where you can get the fresh meat products. This is a unique dining experience with the superb Indonesian dishes.
- Babi Guling Chandra is the famous Indonesian food place that is popularly known for its pork dishes. It is a very busy place that serves the signature Balinese dish Babi Guling.
What about the top 3 breakfast places?
There are many breakfast and brunch places in Denpasar and the best ones are:
- Sundara Bali – Longest brunch place at the coastline offering delicious food with amazing sea views. It is a luxurious location with traditional Balinese breakfast options.
- Pomelo Café – Brunch place with a private pool. This is the family favorite places especially the ones travelling with their kids. There are different types of breakfast options with a list of beverages.
- Prego – Italian style brunch place with amazing ambiance. You can try many Italian dishes in the breakfast from sea food to pasta and some delicious coffees.
What’s the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
There is a wide range of foods in Denpasar whereas the best thing is to try the Nasi Goreng. It is traditional and national Indonesian cuisine made with rice. This dish was named as the second most delicious dish of the world in 2011. You can easily find Nasi Goreng in many local eateries of the city.
What about food markets?
Nusa Dua Night Market has a lot of local cuisines, tapas, desserts, drinks and many more with a range of shopping. There are many cultural and dance performances on the streets of the market. This is the best entertaining place to enjoy the dinner.
Kereneng Night Market is one of the largest markets of the region. There are handicrafts, groceries, organic products by farmers, fresh vegetables, fruits and many more. The market also has a huge number of food stalls to enjoy a meal and dessert after that.
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
Denpasar has a huge party and nightlife scene. You can find ample of places on the entire coastline and the city center.
Potato Head Beach Club is the beach front with some of the coolest clubs of Bali. There are delicious cocktails, live music bars and restaurants. You can enjoy a wonderful evening with superb sea views and skyline.
Kumbasari Art Market is the place to buy some of the cultural and traditional Balinese crafts. You can spend a wonderful evening by exploring the lively place. There are a lot of bars and clubs near the market.
Any rooftop bars or restaurants that you recommend?
Roof top Sunset Bar – located on the Double six luxury hotel and it is the largest bar of Bali. You can sit, enjoy food and drinks with the stunning sunset in the Ocean.
Unique Roof Top Bar is the magical place with the hills panoramic view. This is a very stunning and vibrant place that serves Mexican food.
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
Badung market is the most popular and largest market of the city. It is located in an old building and spreads on the four floors. You can find almost every local product and imported products in the market.
Level 21 Mall is a huge mall with theater, food court and entertainment. There are many shops of international and local brands. The mall also has a huge grocery store in it.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
Denpasar is very well connected to the neighboring destinations of Indonesia whereas you can plan day trips to some of the nearby places. These trips are well planned with proper guide to activities and fun.
- Bali Experience – explore Bali on Cruise trip and visit the nearby locations.
- Nusa Peninda Island – Plan a day trip to the amazing island.
- Bali Soft adventure- a trip to Denpasar, Ubud, Pemuteran, Palau Menjangan, Pengelipuran Village and other nearby sites.
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
There are no casinos in the city because gambling is illegal in Bali. However, many people do private bets on dominoes, board games and cockfights whereas these activities are considered illegal.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- Buy silk from Denpasar. There are some best silk sellers with very cheap rates.
- Temples have proper rules and regulations. Wear proper clothing and follow the religious rules to visit the temple.
- The markets away from the tourist areas are very cheaper in prices.
- Do not forget your water activity gears because this is a proper beach destination.