Amsterdam is famous for art and amazing attractions. There are many historical museums which celebrate the most famous artists of the world by displaying their original art works. There are festivals, events, art places, nightlife and a lot more.
Why should anyone visit the city?
There are many things for which Amsterdam is amazing to visit. If you are fond of cycling, then you can get a chance to explore the city on bicycle. Do not miss the museums, art hotels and galleries which are designed on the themes of different artists. They are worth exploring places to enjoy.
How does one get to the destination (airport, ferry or others)?
- Flights are available from all the major cities of Europe and other major destinations of the world to Amsterdam. It is extremely popular so you will find many airlines deals for the city.
- Car trips from different cities of Europe can be arranged to reach Amsterdam.
- Trains are the most convenient way to reach Amsterdam from different destinations like Berlin, Barcelona, Paris, London and many European cities.
- Bus system of Europe connects almost every place very well. You can easily get direct or indirect bus to Amsterdam.
Is the city safe? What areas are not safe?
Amsterdam is overall very safe city where as the general precautions should be followed. Tourist and crowded areas have pick pockets that need extra care. Avoid red light district to visit in the dark and late at night. There are drug dealers and pick pockets at that time.
What’s the weather like?
Amsterdam faces the moderate temperature entire year with a lot of rain and wind. Sometimes the wind and rain comes together that makes the weather become cold.
- Winter in Amsterdam remains from December to February. The winters become cold only because of winds and rains together otherwise the months of winter remains moderate in the city. Temperature never goes below the freezing point.
- Spring season starts in March and remains until May in Amsterdam. Sometimes it rains and somedays have superb temperature that is perfect to explore the city.
- Summer season is from June to August that is very pleasant. Temperature is mild with the sea breeze. Sometimes it rains but mostly the summers are amazing and perfect to roam around.
- Autumn season remains from September to November with the highest level of precipitation throughout the season. During the windy days, it becomes cold due to the wind.
What languages are spoken in the area? Is English spoken?
The language spoken in Amsterdam is Dutch that has a bit of German in it. The language is named as Niederdeutsch. Almost everyone in the city speaks English especially in the tourist areas. You can easily interact with the locals.
What’s the local currency?
Is US Dollar widely accepted?
The official currency of Amsterdam is Euro. Almost no place accepts US dollars and the places which accepts do not give good exchange rates. You have to exchange the currency to Euro.
What are the best areas or districts to stay in the city?
Amsterdam has a lot of places to stay in the beautiful city near different attractions whereas the best areas are:
- The Old Center is located near the main shopping places, nightlife areas and many attractions. You can just walk to different places to enjoy. It is the best option to stay for the first time visitors of the city.
- Grachtengordel South is the area filled with clubs, bars and different eateries. There are many budget options available to stay.
- The Jordaan is away from the main tourist area. You will get a chance to live among the locals and see their lifestyles. This area has the most beautiful canals of the city. There are many restaurants and bars near it.
- The Museum Quarter is the main quarter of the Amsterdam’s Culture. This area has the Rijksmuseum, Vondelpark and Van Gogh Museum but there are no canals.
What’re your top 3 hotels (budget, moderate, luxury) and why?
- Flying Pig Downtown is a very large and clean space that is run by the travelers. It is well managed according to the needs of backpackers. It is very popular among the budget travelers.
- Maison Rika is located in an old art gallery. This is beautifully designed and well furnished. Queen-sized bedrooms are given to the guests. A fashion designer owns two floors of the gallery.
- Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam is luxury hotel located among the 17th century castles. There are luxurious amenities, facilities like Wi-fi, room service, painted ceiling, indoor pool, fitness center, bar and restaurant.
How does one get around the city? Taxi, Uber, similar apps, ATVs?
- Trams are available near all the major streets of Amsterdam. There are 14 routes with different line numbers for each route. They all meet at one point so you can get back there if you get lost.
- Bus network is very extensive and set up according to trams and metro. Many routes go against the routes where there is no tram and metro station.
- Metro is a very huge and well established network in Amsterdam that reaches the suburbs and many nearby locations of the city. It is the best for the commuters and backpackers.
- Ferry is also available to explore Amsterdam more beautifully. There are ferry trips for different attractions. You can book for day or night trip according to your choice.
- Taxi stands are everywhere from airport to all the luxury, moderate and budget places whereas they are a bit expensive as compared to other means of transportation.
- Uber service has two types of cars in Amsterdam Uber X and Uber Black. They are a little expensive then taxi. However, their airport rates are lesser than taxi so it is better to check while booking.
Can you highlight the Top 5 MUST see sightseeing?
Amsterdam has a lot of amazing placed to visit whereas the truly unmissable are following:
- Westerkerk is also known as West Church is an amazing and a very popular gothic architecture building to visit. It was constructed in the Renaissance period. You can also visit the Rembrandt tomb inside the church.
- Rijksmuseum belongs to the eighteenth century and is famous around the world for its artwork and antiques. It has millions of original art pieces in the 250 rooms along with a huge library with 35000 books.
- Van Gogh Museum is the most famous place around the world for the original paintings of Van Gogh. There are paintings, letters and other handwritten notes of the artist displayed in the building.
- Anne Frank Museum is made in the house of Anne Frank and her family who lived in the house during the world war. It has many things related to the journey of the family from the start of the world war to the end of their life.
- Amsterdam Ports and Canals can be explored by booking a boat trip to enjoy the harbor and the beautiful canals of the city. They offer the views of the city from a totally different perspective.
What’s the best place to take a photo?
Hortus Botanicus Amsterdam is the place among the hundreds of places worth capturing in the camera. It is a garden having medicinal herbs, exotic and tropical flowers which make the place very colorful and stunning to click.
What about the top 3 restaurants?
- Breda is an amazing restaurant located near the Singel Canal due to that the views and ambiance of restaurant is very calm and relaxing. It is very light and airy place with a range of wines and foods.
- Worst Wijncafe is not the worst place but it is the name of sausage in the local language. This is a very beautiful sausage place in the city that even serves chocolate sausages for desserts.
- Restaurant Daalder is the best place to try modern European food. This is a wonderful traditional Dutch brown café. It serves local and international food created by the expert chefs.
What about the top 3 breakfast places?
- Bakers & Roasters is one of the brunch pioneers with the mix of European and English breakfasts. You can try a range of delicious cuisines in your morning meal. They have homemade cakes and fantastic coffee.
- New Werktheater is the renovated old theatre with a range of delicious breakfast options. You will find the most amazing coffee at this place. If you are not a coffee person then try their day cocktails.
- Omelegg is a very cute place that serves delicious egg omelets and other delicious meals. You can try the bacon, Salami, chipolatas and many other dishes in your breakfast or brunch.
What’s the one thing you MUST eat in the city?
You should try the national dish of Amsterdam that is Stamppot. It is a very delicious cuisine that is made with mashed potato and different vegetables cooked in it. You will find the most typical form of this dish in the city.
What about food markets?
- Albert Cuypmarkt is a very famous market among locals and tourists. It is the biggest market that offers diverse range of products and foods. You can try a lot of international and local cuisines of Europe. It remains open from Monday to Saturday from 9am to 5pm.
- Noordermarkt – Boerenmarkt Farmer’s market is located in Jordaan that open on every Saturday. You can find different fresh foods, vegetables, meats, pasta, grains, seafood, olive oil, cheeses and fresh herbs. It opens on Saturdays from 9am to 5pm.
- Marqt Farmer’s Market is the market located in the brick townhouse. It is a new market that is highly admired by the locals. You can buy amazing wines and different foods from this market.
Where should one go at night? Any bar/nightlife areas or districts you recommend?
The Red Light District is filled with a lot of bars, clubs and entertainment places. There are places of every type of interest and choices. You will find some of the best nightclubs of the city in the red light district.
Amsterdam central is the place filled with locals and tourists. This is the favorite of all for the nightlife and entertainment. You will find many international crowds in the bars and clubs of this area.
Any rooftop bars or restaurants that you recommend?
- Sky Bar 747 is the most stylish rooftop place to spend a wonderful night. It is located near the Schiphol airport so it offers amazing panoramic views of the airport and Amsterdam.
- Floor 17 is an amazing restaurant and bar located on the rooftop of hotel Ramada Apollo Amsterdam center. You can spend a wonderful evening on the rooftop lounge.
- GAPP is a green rooftop garden on the Hotel Casa building. It offers amazing skyline, with the panoramic views surrounded by the flowers. It is the best terrace for a perfect evening.
Can you recommend the best shopping areas? Best shopping mall?
Magna Plaza is a highly recommended place even for the people who do not want to shop. This is a worth visiting place located in the former post office with a huge variety of shops.
Waterlooplein Flea market is filled with a huge variety of shops and products. It is located in the old center (red light district). This is the best place to look for some antiques and handicrafts.
Do you recommend any tours outside the city? Islands? Boat Tours?
There are numerous canals and ports in the city that connects it with many places in the nearby locations. You can plan a day trip on ferry to explore the nearby locations along with the major landmarks of the city.
Are Casinos allowed? Blackjack tables? If so, what’s the best Casino in town?
There are many gambling places in the city some of them charge a fee of 5 euros so you at least win 5 euros at the casino.
- Holland casino is a wonderful place with many games and gambling options. The place is very clean with friendly staff.
- Casino city also offers many entertainment options and gaming.
Any last advice for people visiting the city?
- Keep an eye on your wallet and belongings in public places.
- Do not forget renting a bike because it is the best way to explore the city.
- Do not click photos of people in Red Light District especially the workers of that area.
- Coffee shops and cafes are a bit different from each other.
- Keep a camera in hands to click the beautiful images of the city.